Queen`s Gate Place
One of Chester Row’s most exciting and substantial projects, a Grade II listed building of 18,000 sq ft in Queen’s Gate Place with a prominent corner position overlooking Queen’s Gate Gardens. Built ‘for people of wealth and distinction’ by Charles Aldin between 1865 and 1868, 5 and 6 Queen’s Gate Place were originally constructed as two separate houses but in the 1960’s had been converted into eleven smaller apartments owned by Shell International Petroleum Company. Chester Row obtained planning consent for a scheme of six luxury lateral apartments, offering spacious light-filled rooms, some with ceiling heights of over twelve feet, with the original Doric portico of Number 6 providing a private entrance to the Show Apartment. Many of the original period features were retained including a superb stone staircase with wrought iron balustrade, ornate plaster ceilings and intricate cornices.